Wednesday 9 January 2013

Funny Thanksgiving

Source(google.com.pk)
Funny Thanksgiving Photos Biography
The first Thanksgiving after moving overseas, I decided to treat my family to a traditional turkey dinner. I went to the closest store, which happened to be French-speaking, and approached the area where a variety of meats were laid out. Not being fluent in French, I looked and tried to determine on my own whether the large poultry breasts I saw were turkey or goose. The butcher indicated that he was ready to help me. I asked in broken French if he spoke English; he replied, 'No.' I tried again, asking if he spoke German; again, he replied, 'No.' I pointed at the poultry breasts, then tucked my thumbs in my armpits, flapped my arms, and said, 'Gobble, gobble?' The butcher broke into a smile as he replied, 'Oui.' Embarrassing, sure, but I ended up with a turkey and the butcher got a laugh!

I would also like to share some fun facts about Thanksgiving:

Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird of the United States. Sarah Josepha Hale, an American magazine editor, persuaded Abraham Lincoln to declare Thanksgiving a national holiday. She is also the author of the popular nursery rhyme "Mary Had a Little Lamb". Abraham Lincoln issued a 'Thanksgiving Proclamation' on third October 1863 and officially set aside the last Thursday of November as the national day for Thanksgiving. The annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade tradition began in the 1920's. In 1939, President Roosevelt proclaimed that Thanksgiving would take place on November 23rd, not November 30th, as a way to spur economic growth and extend the Christmas shopping season. Congress to passed a law on December 26, 1941, ensuring that all Americans would celebrate a unified Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of November every year. Since 1947, the National Turkey Federation has presented a live turkey and two dressed turkeys to the President. The President does not eat the live turkey. He "pardons" it and allows it to live out its days on a historical farm. Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving in the United States, where it is the beginning of the traditional Christmas shopping season.

In the US, about 280 million turkeys are sold for the Thanksgiving celebrations. Each year, the average American eats somewhere between 16 - 18 pounds of turkey. Californians are the largest consumers of turkey in the United States. Although, Thanksgiving is widely considered an American holiday, it is also celebrated on the second Monday in October in Canada.
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving Photos
Funny Thanksgiving 

No comments:

Post a Comment